Thursday, December 10, 2009

Everything's Bigger in Texas

A few months ago, I was approached about doing a special Groom's cake that would be shaped like Texas. It was going to need to feed about 200-300 people, and after my initial meeting with the bride and her mother, we had a few key details planned out.


I made a template for the cake, but the cake would only feed 140 people with the size I made it. It actually worked out very well because the couple only ended up having one reception as opposed to the original two receptions. All in all, it took 5 sheet cakes, and 12 batches of icing to make the cake, in addition to a few details in fondant.



The cake was a chocolate cake with butter cream icing. The boots, star, lasso, and city sign were made of tinted fondant. This cake was a lot of fun, but it was also a big challenge too! After I had already gotten the cake halfway decorated, I realized it wasn't going to fit through the doorways in my home. Let's just say my wife and I were holding our breaths as we tilted the board to a 45 degree angle and went very quickly...


Thanks to Stephen, Leslie, and the Parks' for allowing me to be a Texas Sized (and shaped) part of their Big Day...

No comments: