Thursday, December 23, 2010

What's all the Buzz about Megan's 1st Birthday?

This will go down as one of my favorite cakes of all time I think. I made this for my niece's 1st birthday party. I was planning the cake for quite some time and drew it out a few months ahead of time. I have to say it turned out just as I imagined, if not better. While Megan won't remember this whimsical cake, I will for sure. The bees, number 1, Winnie the Pooh and the Hunny Pot, are all made of colored and piped chocolate. I found this amazing technique on another blog and had to try it out. The bees are then attached to wire that I bet around dowel rods to give them the look as if they were buzzing and flying around.

I bought the cake stands off of Amazon, as they match the whimsical nature of the cake. As I was planning this cake I just kept picturing them on these stands, and I am so glad I bought them. The bottom of this cake was made from scratch organic red velvet cake with buttercream icing. The filling was a white chocolate buttercream filling which I also made. This was so moist and delicious. I was so thrilled with how it turned out!

The top tier was a yellow cake with a strawberry buttercream filling which I also made myself. It was the perfect combination of flavors as well! So moist and yummy! I have a serious affinity for strawberry anyways!

Here is the birthday girl herself who was thinking about eating her cupcake. It mostly just got messy as she removed all the icing from the cupcake. She didn't really eat any of it and her mommy had to feed her a little bit of the cake... Overall, this cake was a great success and definitely yummy!

No comments: